Who does the sheriff answer to?
The sheriff is an elected official and reports only to the citizens of Duplin County.

 What are the hours of operation for the Duplin County Sheriff’s Office?
The Duplin County Sheriff’s Office operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. For emergency situations, dial 911. The actual business office hours for the sheriff’s office are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

 How do I obtain an incident report for my insurance company?
You may come to sheriff’s office at 112 West Hill Street and ask for a copy at the front desk. You can also have your insurance company contact us at 910-296-2150. We can fax or email a copy directly to them. There is no charge for an incident report.

 How did I get selected for jury duty? How do I get off jury duty if I can’t serve?
Your jury duty notice is mailed by the sheriff’s office; however, your name was selected randomly from the clerk of courts office. Your name could have been selected from NC Division of Motor Vehicle files, county tax records or other state and county documents.   To qualify to serve on a jury, you must be at least 18 years old and have not served on a state or federal jury in the last two years. You must be a citizen of the county where summoned and not have a felony record. You will be excused if you are 72 years old or older.   A jury summons is an official court summon. Failure to report could mean that the court could hold you in contempt and/or impose a fine. You may request a district court judge to defer your jury service to a date that is more convenient. You may ask to be excused if you have a medical reason. Your jury summons will have instructions on how to request a deferral or exemption from serving. If more information, contact the Duplin County Clerk of Court’s Office at 910-275-7000.

 How can I request extra patrol in my neighborhood?
Call the Duplin County Sheriff’s Office at 910-296-2150. The captain over uniform patrol will take your information and distribute to the appropriate deputies that patrol that zone.

 How can I obtain my driving record or criminal history?
Criminal record checks are processed at the Clerk of Superior Court located in the courthouse. Please call 910-275-7000 for more information. You can get a copy of your driving record from the NC Department of Motor Vehicles in Raleigh. Please call the DMV at (919) 861-3015 to ask about this process

 Do I have to register my guns with the sheriff’s office?
North Carolina law does not require you to register any gun you own. If you purchased a gun from a licensed gun dealer, it was automatically registered in your name at the time the gun was purchased.

 How do I get a protective (restraining) order against someone?
Protective orders, properly called Domestic Violence Ex-Parte Orders, are issued by the Clerk of Court office in the courthouse and are signed by a judge. Once issued, the paperwork is served by a deputy with the sheriff’s office. For more information, contact the Clerk of Court office at 910-275-7000.