Handgun permits are issued for the protection of home, business, person, family, property or for target shooting, collecting or hunting.
- At the time of application, the applicant may request multiple purchase permits. One permit is required for each handgun purchase.
- The permit does not entitle the applicant to carry a concealed handgun.
- Permits are valid for 5 years beginning with the date of approval.
- Applications will be kept on file for one year beginning on the date the application was approved. After one year, it will be placed on inactive status and a new application process will be required.
- Permits are not renewable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Address and name changes will be processed if requested.
- Applicants will be notified by phone upon approval within 14 days of application submission. Letters of denial will be mailed to the address provided on the application.
- Purchase permits can be used for long gun purchases but are not required by law.
- A gun safety class is not a requirement for a handgun purchase.
- On August 11, 2004, the governor signed into law that citizens with a CCH (Concealed Carry Handgun Permit) can purchase handguns through dealers, using their CCH. It is no longer necessary for these citizens, who have already been approved to carry a concealed handgun and have been fingerprinted, to come to the sheriff’s office to obtain a pistol purchase permit.
- Must be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or a resident of the United States. If born outside of the United States, must provide proof of citizenship.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a resident of Duplin County for at least 30 days prior to the date of applying. Proof of residency must be provided at the time of application. (NC driver’s license or NC identification card)
- Must not have any criminal charges or pending criminal charges that if convicted would be a disqualifying offense.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must be eligible to own, posses or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law. See.
- Applicant will be required to authorize a mental health check conducted by the Duplin County Clerk of Superior Court to check the clerk’s records of an involuntary mental commitment proceeding in which the applicant has been named as a respondent. Note: The last page of the handgun permit application is to obtain the mental health check and must be signed before a NC notary public.
An application for a handgun permit can be obtained at the administrative office of the Duplin County Sheriff’s Office located at 112 West Hill Street, Kenansville. Also, you may download an application from one of the links below to complete and submit at the Duplin County Sheriff’s Office:
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun – Fillable Form
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun – Print Form to Complete by Hand
Note: The last page of the application is the Mental Health Release Form and must be signed before a NC Notary Public.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) 8:00 a. m. – 5:00 p. m.
Fees & Method of Payment
A non-refundable fee of $5.00 will be charged for each permit requested at the time of applying. Correct change is requested. Checks and money orders made payable to the Duplin County Sheriff’s Office are also accepted. We do not accept credit or debit cards.